Milford Sound from Te Anau
Milford Sound Coach, Cruise & Walk
Milford Sound, a must-do trip in New Zealand
Enjoy a leisurely, small group day trip to Milford Sound, including a boat cruise along the full length of the fiord to the Tasman Sea. Our relaxed timetable ensures the best opportunity to enjoy walks, scenic stops and explore this iconic area with a local nature guide.
- Adult NZ$145
- 1 Adult + 1 child NZ$185
- Child NZ$45
- Infant Free
Mates rates + kids go free in the holidays!
Great low rates for kiwis, plus children travel free in the NZ school holidays.
Milford Sound Coach
Departing from Te Anau, travel along the spectacular Milford Road. Your local, experienced nature driver/guide is eager to share their stories, knowledge, and passion for the area, bringing the mysteries of Fiordland to life. With a maximum of 15 people and traveling in a modern touring coach, your experience of the Fiordland will be second to none.
Milford Boat Cruise
On reaching Milford Sound, join a 2-hour small boat for a leisurely cruise of Milford Sound to the Tasman Sea. The cruise provides excellent viewing opportunities, with plenty of time available to enjoy the waterfalls, rainforest, mountains, and wildlife (seals, penguins and dolphins) around the fiord.
Exploring on foot with a walk in Fiordland is a must, even if it is only a few hundred meters. Discover more with our overland tour! Your local guide will share a series of walks and scenic stops in a range of environments, plus provide fascinating interpretation of the unique native flora and fauna. We tailor the day to the weather, seasonal highlights and to get you off the beaten track.
Short Walks and Scenic Stops
Year round, in summer and winter enjoy a series of short, guided hikes and scenic stops with your local guide. Our National Park concession and flexibility allows us to access all areas, including the Gertrude Valley, Lake Gunn, and Hollyford Valley. Plentiful opportunities are made for you to experience the natural fauna and flora with all your senses, ensuing you get to enjoy the best wilderness and wildlife opportunities available in this World Heritage Area.
The tour was great!
The tour was great! Loved Geoff giving us the local perspective of the Milford Rd and Te Anau. We really appreciated the explanation of the sites and we were impressed on how he timed the stops to basically to beat the huge tour groups. Please thank Geoff for us!
We thoroughly enjoyed our tour with you.
Geoff was a fountain of knowledge and looked after us extremely well. We would recommend you tour to anyone looking to see the magnificent Milford Sound.
My friend Emma and I had a WONDERFUL experience with our trip to Milford Sound.
My friend Emma and I had a WONDERFUL experience with our trip to Milford Sound. Guide Jeff made it especially memorable and enjoyable.
Seamless and informative tour
Doug from Trips and Tramps ran a seamless and informative tour to Milford and back. The stops were carefully thought out and local information was awesome.
An amazing experience
Even though it was raining most of the morning and the first part of our cruise the scenery was amazing. Normally only 3 main waterfalls to view but due to the rain there were heaps, and the clouds hanging over the top of the mountains looked amazing too. Neil, our guide for the bus trip to and from Milford Sound was very experienced and had excellent knowledge of the best points to stop for photos and his knowledge and love of the wildlife and fauna made the trip even better. We had an excellent day.
My wife and I had a phenomenal day!
My wife and I had a phenomenal day and it was one of the more memorable parts of our honeymoon in New Zealand. We were left feeling as though we had been privileged with an experience of the Milford Sound and Milford Road that was unique and better than those of the other hundreds of tourists we saw with other tour companies. The distinguishing factor, without a doubt, was our tour guide, Douglas, who was experienced, friendly, brimming with local expertise, and was clearly dedicated to ensuring that we had the best experience possible that fit our personal preferences. By the end of the day, we felt like we had even made a new friend.
Breathtaking tour - Becs was an amazing guide
Definitely the best decision to choose a small group. There were 6 in our party. Our guide, Becs, was very knowledgeable about the history, geography flora and fauna in the area. It was really interesting and enjoyable. Her experience showed in knowing the best places to stop and getting us where we needed to be on time. Our guide on the boat was also knowledgeable and interesting. We managed to see a tiny penguin and some seals as well as amazing scenery.
- Deer Flat
- Eglinton Valley
- Gertrude Valley
- Gunns Camp
- Mirror Lakes
- Humboldt Falls
- Homer Tunnel
- Key Summit, Routeburn Track
- Lake Gunn Nature Walk
- Marian Gantry
- Milford Sound
- Milford Sound Terminal
- Mirror Lakes
- Monkey Creek
- Pops View
- Te Anau
- Te Anau Downs
- The Chasm
Milford Sound Coach, Cruise and Walks
Journey to Milford Sound with a local Trips & Tramps guide, in a small group for a day trip you'll never forget.
You may choose to add a lunch to your day ($15 per person additional charge), alternatively bring something with you. Hot drinks are available on board the boat and during a wilderness tea break on the overland trip.
This trip departs daily, year round (excluding Christmas Day 25 December)
01 November to 30 April
8.00 am Te Anau accommodation pick up, return around 5.00 pm
Note return time will vary, depending on weather and group motivations on the day.
01 May - 31 October
8.30 am Te Anau accommodation pick up, return around 4.30 pm.
What to bring
We recommend you bring comfortable walking shoes, day pack containing warm clothing including hat and gloves, waterproof jacket, a packed lunch and water bottle (if not purchased through us), and camera.
We provide a professional driver/guide, all transport from Te Anau with walking and photo opportunities, plus a Milford Sound Boat Cruise, and afternoon or morning tea.
Our rates change from 01 November, however we do try to keep the increases as small as possible, please check the booking system to confirm the rate during your travel time.
Infant - 0-5 years inclusive
Child - 6-15 years inclusive
Adult - 16 years +
Walks (5-30 minutes in length) and scenic stops will vary each day. Your guide will consider the seasonal highlights, weather conditions, and motivations of the group onboard. Rest assured you will enjoy a day of discovery and have a unique day out to maximise your Milford Sound experience!
Stops along the way may include.
1. Te Anau Downs – A photo opportunity before we leave the shores of Lake Te Anau. This sheltered harbour, is also where the Milford Track departs.
2. Lake Mistletoe – This 30- minute walk allows you to explore a wetland as you walk around a small lake.
3. Te Anau Downs Station – Deliver the mail to this historic station, we have the mail contract along the Milford Road!
4. Eglinton Valley – Here we stop for photos and the opportunity to explore this glacier carved, frost cleared valley with unrivalled views.
5. Mirror Lakes – An easy, 10-minute short walk to view the scenery and bird life. On a still day, the reflections are amazing.
6. Deer Flat – A tranquil setting alongside the Eglinton River, prefect for a cuppa and yarn year-round.
7. Divide Shelter – This feature marks one end of the Routeburn Great Walk Track.
8. Lake Gunn – Enjoy a 30-minute nature walk through ancient native forest alongside an idyllic lake.
9. Pops Lookout – A scenic stop offering spectacular views over the Hollyford Valley and surrounding mountains as located at the main divide of New Zealand’s Southern Alps.
10. Lower Hollyford Valley – Get off the tar seal and travel down this scenic road under the ancient tree canopy.
11. Gunns Camp – Explore this historic camp destroyed in the floods of February 2020. Learn the history and see for yourself the power of nature in this beautiful, ever changing valley.
12. Marian Gantry and swing bridge – no visit to Fiordland is complete without experiencing a swing bridge! This sturdy version allows us to access a 20 to 30-minute walk through the lush rainforest alongside a series of spectacular waterfalls.
13. Christie Falls – Get a photo of the cascading waterfall alongside the main highway.
14. Monkey Creek – Fill your water bottle with the pure water and spot the cheeky kea, who love to hang out in this alpine setting.
15. Gertrude Valley – On a clear and calm day step into this alpine setting to discover the native plants, and in the warm summer months the pretty alpine flowers.
16. Homer Tunnel – This rustic tunnel pierces the share rock and at 1.2 km long, makes quite the talking point.
17. Tutoko Bridge – Walk across this historic bridge and enjoy views of Mt Tutoko, the highest mountain in Fiordland National Park.
18. The Chasm – An easy walk to view dramatic, water-sculpted shapes in the rocks (currently closed, expected to re-open in December 2021).
19. Milford Foreshore – Take this short 400 metre walk along the sandy foreshore to enjoy classic views of Mitre Peak. You could even get the change to have a scenic swing, ask your guide to find out more!